Do you want to learn How to Make Instant Coffee at Home? I’m going to teach you how!
First, let’s talk about why instant coffee is so great. It’s really fast to make – just add hot water! No coffee maker is needed. For super busy people, instant coffee saves the day when you need your morning joe fast.
Here’s what we’ll cover: picking the best instant coffee, making hot instant coffee, iced instant coffee, and fun ways to change up your instant coffee. I’ll share lots of tips to make your instant coffee extra tasty. Get ready to become an instant coffee expert!
- Instant coffee is made from real coffee that’s been dried into powder. (Source: Team Research)
- Use hot but not boiling water so your coffee doesn’t get bitter. (Source: Team Research)
- Use 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee for every 6-8 ounces of water. (Source: Team Research)
- Adding milk or creamer makes instant coffee extra yummy. (Source: Team Research)
- There are fun instant coffee flavors like mocha and vanilla too! (Source: Team Research)
How to Make Instant Coffee
To make instant coffee, you will need:
- Instant coffee granules
- Hot water
- Sugar or creamer (optional)
- Heat water in a microwave or on the stove until it is just below boiling.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules to a mug.
- Pour the hot water over the coffee granules and stir until they are completely dissolved.
- Add sugar or creamer to taste.
Picking Your Instant Coffee
Let’s start by picking a good instant coffee brand and type.
When picking your instant coffee, there are a few things to consider:
- The type of beans. Instant coffee is typically made from either Arabica or Robusta beans. Arabica beans are more expensive, but they have a smoother, more complex flavor. Robusta beans are less expensive, but they have a stronger, more bitter flavor.
- The roast level. The roast level of the beans will affect the flavor of the coffee. A darker roast will have a stronger, more intense flavor, while a lighter roast will have a more delicate flavor.
- The flavor profile. Some instant coffees are flavored, while others are not. If you prefer flavored coffee, there are a variety of flavors to choose from, such as hazelnut, vanilla, and chocolate.
- The price. Instant coffee can range in price from a few dollars to over $10 per can. It’s important to find a coffee that fits your budget.
Look for instant coffee made by freeze-drying or spray-drying. This makes the best-tasting cup! The crystals fully dissolve for a smooth flavor.
Stay away from cheap instant coffee powder. It tastes bad and gritty.
You can also find yummy flavored instant coffee like mocha or vanilla!
Coffee Crystals vs. Powder
What’s the difference between instant coffee crystals and instant coffee powder?
Coffee crystals are made by freeze-drying or spray-drying brewed coffee. This locks in more flavor! The crystals mix smoothly.
Coffee powder uses a cheaper process. It tastes weaker and gritty.
So go with yummy crystals or granules! Here are my faves:
- Nescafe Taster’s Choice
- Starbucks VIA Instant
- Mount Hagen Organic Freeze Dried Coffee
Making Hot Instant Coffee
Ready to learn how to make hot instant coffee? Here we go!
First, get your ingredients ready:
- Instant coffee granules or powder
- Hot water – use a kettle or heat in the microwave
- Cup or mug
- Optional: Sugar, milk, creamer
Heat the water until hot but not boiling. Around 195°F to 205°F is best. Boiling water makes instant coffee taste bad.
For every 6-8 ounces of water, use 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee. Put the coffee in your mug first.
Then pour in the hot water and stir really well until the coffee dissolves. Enjoy!
Key Takeaway: Don’t boil the water – it makes instant coffee taste bitter!
Tips for Hot Instant Coffee
Here are some tips for great hot instant coffee:
- Use filtered water for a pure taste
- Let boiling water sit for 1-2 minutes before pouring
- Stir vigorously until the coffee fully dissolves
Try adding milk, creamer, or sugar too!
Making Iced Instant Coffee
Iced instant coffee is so yummy! It’s still fast to make but served cold over ice.
Stir until dissolved. Then add ice cubes and enjoy!
Here are some yummy iced coffee recipes:
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee + 1⁄2 cup cold milk + ice
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee + 1 cup cold water + ice
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee + 1⁄2 cup milk + 1⁄2 cup water + ice
Tip: Add extra instant coffee if you like your iced coffee strong!
Customize Your Instant Coffee
One of the best parts of instant coffee is customizing your cup! Try different milk or creams, sweeteners, and fun flavors.
You can also blend it into coffee shakes or whip it up into a frothy latte. The options are endless!
Add Milk or Creamer
- Whole milk – creamy texture
- Skim milk – lower calories
- Creamer – yummy flavors like French Vanilla
- Whipped cream – tasty on iced coffee
Flavor with Syrups
Stir in flavored syrups like:
- Hazelnut – for nutty flavor
- Vanilla – sweet taste
- Caramel – rich and buttery
- Mocha – chocolate yumminess!
Sweeten with Sugar or Sweeteners
Balance bitterness with sweetness:
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Splenda or Equal
Fun Coffee Drinks
Get creative with whipped, blended, or frothed coffee drinks:
- Whipped instant coffee
- Instant coffee milkshake
- Iced instant coffee frappe
- Instant coffee latte
The options are endless! Try inventing your own signature coffee drink.
Storing Instant Coffee
To keep your instant coffee fresh:
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Keep away from moisture, heat, and light.
- Write the date you opened it.
Properly stored, instant coffee lasts around 2-3 years after the printed expiration date. If it starts tasting flat or bitter, it’s time to replace it.
I like to put an open jar inside a sealed plastic bag. This gives it extra protection against air and humidity.
Key Takeaway: Follow these storage tips to keep instant coffee fresh longer!
Common Instant Coffee Questions
Here are some frequent questions about instant coffee:
How is instant coffee made?
It starts as brewed coffee. Then the water is removed by freeze-drying or spray-drying, leaving just the soluble powder behind.
Is instant coffee healthy?
Drinking moderate amounts is fine for most people. Too much can cause jitters or upset stomachs.
Can you make your own instant coffee?
The production process is complicated, so it’s best to just buy it pre-made. Homemade won’t taste the same.
Now you know all my tips for making delicious instant coffee fast at home!
With yummy instant coffee granules and hot water, you can quickly whip up a hot or iced coffee drink anytime.
Customize your coffee with different milk, sweeteners, and fun flavors. Try different recipes until you invent your perfect cup.
So go give it a try. Make yourself a yummy cup of instant coffee!